Every time there is a transition in power, we are presented with new challenges and opportunities when it comes to addressing the climate crisis. The Biden-Harris Administration recently released their commitments on climate change and their plan is designed to create new jobs, build and rebuild infrastructure and deliver on environmental justice promises. What can you expect?
The Biden-Harris Administration Climate Commitments
As part of the executive actions that President Biden took there were numerous climate change-aimed orders. The actions as a result of the Executive Order included:
- Rejoining the Paris Agreement
- Hosting a Leaders’ Climate Summit on Earth Day
- Focus on the security implications of climate change
- Establishing the first-ever National Climate Advisor and Deputy National Climate Advisor
- Establishing a National Climate Task Force
- Create clean energy jobs
- Developing plans to increase the resilience of national security facilities to the impacts of climate change
- Eliminating fossil fuel subsidies
- Creating jobs in construction, manufacturing, engineering and the skilled trades while ensuring that federal infrastructure work is aimed at reducing climate pollution and accelerating clean energy and transmission projects
- Prioritizing environmental justice
How Will This Change Things?
The push by the Biden administration to create new jobs in construction and manufacturing with a green building focus is great news for our industry. USGBC has praised his plans to use green buildings as a centerpiece of creating jobs for America’s recovery and moving us forward in climate policy. The current intended building targets are:
- Reducing the carbon footprint of US building stock 50% by 2035
- Upgrading 4 million buildings and weatherizing 2 million homes over the course of his term, which he estimates will create 1 million jobs
- Kickstarting the construction of 1.5 million sustainable housing units and homes
It’s clear that President Biden sees buildings as a key piece of combating climate change, and the groundwork already in place thanks to the USGBC community will be instrumental in ensuring this momentum does not go to waste. Doo Consulting is excited to be part of this sweeping change in the construction industry and use our past experience in LEED projects to continue our work. The historic investment in energy upgrades of many buildings, including housing, offices, warehouses, federal buildings and public buildings, bodes well for our industry and the future of the planet. If you looking to create a building for your business with LEED certification or if you are looking to upgrade or certify an existing building, Doo Consulting is here to help.